Below is a mandala I drew up. Something very different, but it’s nice to shake things up from time to time.
Mandala (original design)
31cm x 29cm (11.8″ x 11.2″)
Mandala in progress
I apologise the photos aren’t the greatest. My workspace still isn’t set up for on-line sharing. My lighting is great for working, but terrible for photos. It is a dilemma I have to resolve but the rebel in me is procrastinating.
Art Diary, Monday 6th June 2016
I unfortunately came down with a very bad cold virus so regrettably I had to pull out of the Sails 1st birthday celebrations.
Not all my time was spent sniffling and sneezing.
I had recently purchased a pack of glitter gel pens. I have a weakness for glitter so I couldn’t resist them, even though I had no real idea what I would do with them. The mandala proved the perfect opportunity to try them out.
I wasn’t in the head space to do one of my usual designs, so I decided to see what would happen if I drew a mandala instead.
The gen pens worked a treat and I really like how the colours came up. The glitter effect doesn’t really show in photos, which is a bit of bummer.
The mandala draws on design elements that are very common in a lot these types of mandalas. I really love the traditional mandalas. I suppose I have retained more about their design than I thought!
It was very fun to do but with a total of seven hours from start to finish it is not something I think I will do very often.
It was still a good experiment and I’m very happy with the results. I’ve been trying to think of ways to speed up my process for demonstrations. Even though the mandalas are not in the style of my designs, they operate on the same principles. This mandala I’d say is rather easy in it’s design. There are no overlapping or interlocking aspects. There is no way any of what I do can be done quickly. I suspect many artists have this issue, and use work that is nearly completed. I know I’ll need to do that to a certain extant, but if I can show more than the finishing touches that would be ideal. Paper does speed the process up immensely and that gives me hope that if the design is pre-drawn than I will more easily be able to show my process and someone can see a design or flower emerge.
Painting with paper is very different to canvas I also did two proof of concept flowers. They took about 45 minutes each, just to see if I can still do what I do translated onto paper.
I can indeed paint on paper! It was a big moment for me.
They are still far from what I would say is finished, but it’s enough for me to proceed knowing that even though the medium I’m painting on is different I can produce the same style of painting using the same painting techniques. The only difference is a lot less layers and I have little room for error because the drying time is extremely quick
I have some black paper I want to experiment with and I now need to paint a design and a flower to see how they actually unfold. That though will have to wait. I am back in my studio this week and I have a lovely stack of flowers waiting for me to paint. 🙂
Until next time, wishing you all many moments of creativity and inspiration.